Skilled Worker Visa in the UK
The UK Skilled Worker Visa category is for individuals who have an eligible skilled job offer from a Home Office-approved sponsor.
Awards and Accreditations
Welcome to the page dedicated to the Skilled Worker Visas in the UK. This visa route offers a pathway to obtaining permanent residence in the United Kingdom, and it allows eligible applicants to be accompanied by their spouses/partners and dependent children.
Explore this page further to find detailed information about the Skilled Worker Visa, including eligibility criteria, application process, and other essential insights. Should you have any questions or need expert guidance, our team of immigration specialists is ready to assist you. Start your journey towards working and residing in the UK today!
Requirements for a UK Skilled Worker Visa
In general, to qualify for a UK Skilled Worker UK Visa, you will need to satisfy UK Visas and Immigration that:
- You have a valid Certificate of Sponsorship for the job you are planning to do,
- Your job offer is a genuine vacancy,
- Your sponsor has paid the required Immigration Skills Charge,
- Your job is at an appropriate skill level,
- You meet the English language requirements,
- You will be paid a salary which equals or exceeds both a general salary threshold and the ‘going rate’ for the occupation,
- You have enough money to support yourself without relying on public funds, and
- You have provided a criminal record certificate, if required.
The exact requirements you will need to satisfy will vary depending on your individual circumstances, occupation, qualifications, and citizenship. You may want to speak to an immigration lawyer for expert advice.
Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) Requirement
In order to obtain a UK Skilled Worker Visa, you must have a valid Certificate of Sponsorship for the job you are planning to do. In most cases the sponsoring employer must be an A-rated sponsor.
Genuine Vacancy Requirement For A Skilled Worker
To be granted a UK Skilled Worker UK Visa, you will need to satisfy the Home Office that you are being sponsored to undertake a genuine vacancy and have the necessary skills, qualifications and experience for the job.
If UK Visas & Immigration believe that your employer has not made a good faith effort to hire or train British Citizens or settled workers or that the vacancy has been created for the purposes of assisting you to gain entry into the UK, then your application will be refused.
Appropriate Skill Level Requirement For A Skilled Worker UK Visa
The Home Office sets out eligible jobs for the UK Skilled Worker Visa category, along with their skill and qualification levels. Each eligible job has a 4-digit occupation code.
Your employer must choose an appropriate occupation code. Your application may be refused if the Home Office has reason to believe that your employer has not selected the correct occupation code.
In assessing whether your employer has chosen the most appropriate occupation code, the Home Office will consider factors such as whether they have shown a genuine need for the position, whether you have the appropriate skills, qualifications and experience needed to do the job and your employer’s history of compliance with UK immigration law.
Salary Threshold Requirement
Employers seeking to recruit under the UK Skilled Worker Visa category must pay their skilled workers a salary which equals or exceeds both a general salary threshold and the ‘going rate’ for the occupation, whichever is higher.
The general salary threshold under the Skilled Worker route is £25,600 gross per year. Therefore, in most cases an applicant for a Skilled Worker Visa must be paid a gross salary which equals or exceeds £25,600 a year and 100% of the going rate for the occupation, whichever is higher.
Certain skilled workers may be paid less than the general threshold or the going rate. These situations include where an applicant with a PhD qualification which is relevant to the proposed position in the UK or where the position is on the shortage occupation list.
Duration of a UK Skilled Worker UK Visa
A UK Skilled Worker Visa may be granted for a maximum of 5 years.
Permanent Residence for UK Skilled Worker Visa Holders
To qualify for Indefinite Leave to Remain as a Skilled Worker, you will need to satisfy UK Visas and Immigration that you have spent a continuous period of 5 years in the UK and have not left the UK for more than 180 days during each year of the 5-year continuous period.
Additionally, your employer must still be an approved sponsor and require you to work for them for the foreseeable future. You must continue to be paid the general salary threshold or the going rate requirement, whichever is higher.
How we can help
Our UK immigration lawyers can ensure that you and your employer meet the requirements of the UK immigration rules before applying for a UK Skilled Worker Visa. For further information please schedule a consultation.
UK Legal Advice
UK Immigration Frequently Asked Questions
Our team of UK immigration lawyers will handle your case promptly and diligently until you achieve the desired outcome. Your dedicated UK immigration attorney will provide you with an estimated processing period for your case and keep you informed through each stage of the UK visa process. To expedite the processing of your application, we will ensure that your forms are meticulously completed and that you provide sufficient supporting documentation.
However, please note that the UKVI processing time depends on several factors including the volume of cases the UKVI is receiving and whether there are any priority programs where UKVI gives precedence to applicants from war torn countries or countries affected by natural disasters.
We can offer a fast-track service if your application is time sensitive. Please schedule a consultation to learn more about this package and all the services provided by our immigration lawyers.
Hiring one of our qualified UK immigration attorneys can offer several benefits when applying for a visa. Here are some of the advantages:
- Expertise and Knowledge: Our UK immigration attorneys specialize in all aspects of UK immigration law and are well-versed in the complexities of the UK visa application process. They stay updated with the latest changes in immigration laws and regulations, ensuring that your application is accurate and compliant.
- Personalized Advice: Our immigration attorneys can assess your specific circumstances, understand your immigration goals, and provide tailored advice based on your situation. They can determine the most suitable visa category for you, explain the requirements, and help you gather the necessary supporting documents.
- Application Preparation: Immigration lawyers can assist you in completing and organizing your visa application. They have experience in preparing the necessary paperwork, filling out forms correctly, and ensuring that all required documentation is included. This can help reduce the chances of errors or omissions that could lead to delays or a rejected application.
- Increased Approval Chances: With their expertise, our qualified UK immigration lawyers can identify any potential weaknesses or issues in your application and address them proactively. They can highlight your qualifications, skills, and experiences effectively to demonstrate your eligibility for the visa. This can increase your chances of a successful application.
- Legal Representation: If your visa application is complex or encounters challenges, having one of our skilled immigration lawyers on your side can be invaluable. They can communicate with the UK Home Office or immigration authorities on your behalf, prepare detailed and persuasive legal submissions and provide guidance throughout the process.
Time and Stress Management: Navigating the UK visa application process can be time-consuming and overwhelming, especially if you are unfamiliar with the requirements. By hiring one of our immigration lawyers, you can offload the paperwork, legal aspects, and administrative tasks to them, allowing you to focus on other important matters.
Our experienced UK immigration attorneys provide specialist legal advice and representation on all aspects of UK immigration law, to individuals and businesses. Our services can be classified as:
- Initial Immigration Consultations
- Immigration Application Preparation and Submission (Full Representation)
- Immigration Application Checking Service
- Sponsor License Applications and Corporate Immigration Services
Regardless of the service you require, you can be assured that you will have direct access to a specialist UK immigration lawyer who has an in-depth understanding of UK immigration law and procedure. Our flexible services are delivered professionally and are tailored to your individual situation. Please schedule a consultation to learn more about our cost-effective UK immigration solutions and the services provided by our immigration lawyers.