Proposed Civil Partner Visa

Proposed Civil Partner Visa

A Proposed Civil Partner Visa enables you to enter the UK and enter a Civil Partnership.

Awards and Accreditations

The Proposed Civil Partner visa category is for engaged partners of British citizens or persons with indefinite leave to remain who wish to enter into a civil partnership within 6 months of arriving in the UK.

What are the main eligibility requirements for a Proposed Civil Partner visa?

In order to qualify for a Proposed Civil Partner visa, you will need to satisfy UK Visas and Immigration that:

  • Your partner is British or Irish or holds Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK,
  • You are both over the age of 18,
  • You have met in person,
  • You are both free to enter into a civil partnership,
  • Your relationship is genuine and you intend to live together permanently in the UK,
  • You intend to enter into a civil partnership within six months of your arrival in the UK,
  • Any previous relationships have broken down permanently,
  • You will be adequately maintained in the UK without recourse to public funds,
  • There is adequate accommodation for you and any dependents, and

You speak and understand English to the required level.

Financial Requirements

In order to demonstrate that you can be adequately maintained in the UK without recourse to public funds, you will need to satisfy a financial requirement.

You will need to demonstrate that your partner has a gross annual income of at least:

  • £18,600; plus
  • £3,800 for a first child (who is not British, settled or an EEA national); plus
  • £2,400 for each additional child (who is not British, settled or an EEA national).

You can meet this requirement through salaried and non-salaried income, self-employed income, salary and/or dividends from a company of which you are a Director, property rental income, dividends and income from investments, stocks, shares, bonds or trust funds, pension income, insurance payments, maintenance payments and cash savings above £16,000 that have been held for at least six months, unless you can demonstrate that they have come from the sale of property or investments within the last 6 months.

Different considerations will apply if your partner is in receipt of certain benefits.

Genuine Relationship Test

The genuine relationship requirement for UK proposed civil partner visa applications is designed to ensure that the relationship between the applicant and their partner is authentic and not entered into solely for the purpose of obtaining immigration benefits. The UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) assesses the genuineness of the relationship based on various factors, which may include:

  1. Evidence of cohabitation: Providing proof that you have been living together with your partner in a committed relationship, such as joint tenancy agreements, utility bills, or bank statements that show shared addresses.
  2. Documentation of communication: Demonstrating regular and ongoing communication between you and your partner, such as phone records, emails, letters, or social media messages.
  3. Financial interdependence: Showing that you and your partner share financial responsibilities and support each other economically, such as joint bank accounts, shared financial commitments, or evidence of financial transactions between you.
  4. Knowledge of each other: Providing details about your partner’s background, family, interests, and other personal information that would be expected in a genuine relationship.
  5. Supporting statements: Submitting statements from family members, friends, or other individuals who can vouch for the authenticity of your relationship.
  6. Photos and travel documents: Including photographs of you and your partner together, as well as evidence of any joint travel or vacations.
  7. Social ties and integration: Demonstrating that you and your partner are socially integrated into each other’s lives and the wider community can strengthen the genuineness of your relationship. This can include evidence of attending family events, social gatherings, social media information or being involved in shared activities.
  8. Future plans: Providing information about your future plans together as a couple, such as joint commitments, goals, or aspirations, can indicate a genuine and long-term relationship.
  9. Legal formalities: If you and your partner have taken any legal steps to solidify your relationship, such as entering into a civil partnership or registering as domestic partners in a country where it is legally recognized, this can be supportive evidence of the genuineness of your relationship.
  10. Interview and scrutiny: In some cases, UKVI may conduct an interview to assess the authenticity of your relationship. During the interview, you and your partner may be asked questions about your relationship history, day-to-day activities, future plans, or any other relevant details.

It’s important to provide a variety of evidence covering different aspects of your relationship to establish its authenticity. Every relationship is unique, so the evidence you provide should reflect your specific circumstances and history as a couple. UKVI may request additional documentation or conduct interviews to further assess the genuineness of the relationship. It is crucial to provide as much supporting evidence as possible to demonstrate the authenticity of your relationship when applying for a proposed civil partner visa in the UK.

What Should I Do If My UK Proposed Civil Partner Visa Is Refused?

If your UK Proposed Civil Partner Visa is refused, it can be a challenging and disappointing situation. However, there are steps you can take to address the refusal. Here’s what you should consider doing:

  1. Review the refusal notice: Carefully read the refusal notice provided by the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI). It will outline the reasons for the refusal, including any specific concerns or requirements that were not met. Understanding the grounds for refusal is crucial for determining the next course of action.
  2. Seek professional advice: Consider consulting an immigration lawyer or advisor who specializes in UK visa applications. They can provide expert guidance and help you assess the reasons for refusal, identify potential weaknesses in your application, and advise you on the best way forward.
  3. Understand your rights: Familiarize yourself with your rights and options. You may have the right to appeal the decision or submit a fresh application, depending on the circumstances. An immigration professional can help you understand the available options based on your individual situation.
  4. Appeal the decision (if applicable): If you believe that the refusal was unjust or incorrect, you may have the right to lodge an appeal. The appeal process typically involves submitting an appeal form and providing additional supporting evidence to address the concerns raised in the refusal notice. The deadline for submitting an appeal is usually within a specified timeframe, so it’s important to act promptly.
  5. Reapply with a stronger case: If an appeal is not an option or if it is not successful, you may choose to reapply with an improved application. Take into account the reasons for the initial refusal and address any deficiencies in your previous application. Gathering additional supporting documents, providing more substantial evidence of your relationship’s genuineness, or seeking professional assistance can help strengthen your case.
  6. Consider alternative visa options: If the Proposed Civil Partner Visa is not feasible or viable, explore alternative visa options that may be more suitable for your circumstances. There are various other visa categories available, such as Spouse Visa, Unmarried Partner Visa, or Work Visa, depending on your specific situation and eligibility.

It is crucial to act promptly and seek professional advice to navigate the process effectively and increase your chances of success. Immigration rules and procedures are complex and subject to change, so it is important to consult the official UK government website or an immigration professional for the most up-to-date and accurate information regarding your specific case.

What else do I need to know about the Proposed Civil Partner visa?

Applications for Proposed Civil Partner visas can only be made from outside the UK.

If your application for a Proposed Civil Partner visa is successful, you will be granted permission to enter and remain in the United Kingdom for a period of 6 months. After your civil partnership ceremony has taken place, you will then be eligible to apply to switch into the Civil Partner category without having to leave the UK.

If your civil partnership does not take place before your Proposed Civil Partner visa expires, you can apply to extend your stay for a further 6 months in order to allow the ceremony to take place, provided that there is a good reason why it has not done so to date and there is evidence that a ceremony will take place within the next 6 months.

Proposed Civil Partner visa holders are not permitted to work in the UK.

How our immigration lawyers can help

Our immigration lawyers regularly assist foreign national Proposed Civil Partners to relocate to the UK with their British citizen or settled partners.

Whether you require expert advice on the requirements of the Immigration Rules, an independent assessment of your prospects of qualifying for a visa or professional assistance with preparing an immigration application, our immigration barristers can help.

The financial requirement rules are particularly complex and include mandatory requirements in terms of the documentary evidence that must be provided to UK Visas and Immigration in order to demonstrate access to the relevant funds. Our immigration lawyers specialise in assisting applicants with complicated financial circumstances to secure successful outcomes in their Proposed Civil Partner visa applications.

See Also:

Contact Us

UK Legal Advice

Book your UK visa application appointment in USA.

UK Immigration Frequently Asked Questions

Our team of UK immigration lawyers will handle your case promptly and diligently until you achieve the desired outcome. Your dedicated UK immigration attorney will provide you with an estimated processing period for your case and keep you informed through each stage of the UK visa process. To expedite the processing of your application, we will ensure that your forms are meticulously completed and that you provide sufficient supporting documentation.

However, please note that the UKVI processing time depends on several factors including the volume of cases the UKVI is receiving and whether there are any priority programs where UKVI gives precedence to applicants from war torn countries or countries affected by natural disasters.

We can offer a fast-track service if your application is time sensitive. Please schedule a consultation to learn more about this package and all the services provided by our immigration lawyers.

Hiring one of our qualified UK immigration attorneys can offer several benefits when applying for a visa. Here are some of the advantages:

  1. Expertise and Knowledge: Our UK immigration attorneys specialize in all aspects of UK immigration law and are well-versed in the complexities of the UK visa application process. They stay updated with the latest changes in immigration laws and regulations, ensuring that your application is accurate and compliant.
  2. Personalized Advice: Our immigration attorneys can assess your specific circumstances, understand your immigration goals, and provide tailored advice based on your situation. They can determine the most suitable visa category for you, explain the requirements, and help you gather the necessary supporting documents.
  3. Application Preparation: Immigration lawyers can assist you in completing and organizing your visa application. They have experience in preparing the necessary paperwork, filling out forms correctly, and ensuring that all required documentation is included. This can help reduce the chances of errors or omissions that could lead to delays or a rejected application.
  4. Increased Approval Chances: With their expertise, our qualified UK immigration lawyers can identify any potential weaknesses or issues in your application and address them proactively. They can highlight your qualifications, skills, and experiences effectively to demonstrate your eligibility for the visa. This can increase your chances of a successful application.
  5. Legal Representation: If your visa application is complex or encounters challenges, having one of our skilled immigration lawyers on your side can be invaluable. They can communicate with the UK Home Office or immigration authorities on your behalf, prepare detailed and persuasive legal submissions and provide guidance throughout the process.

Time and Stress Management: Navigating the UK visa application process can be time-consuming and overwhelming, especially if you are unfamiliar with the requirements. By hiring one of our immigration lawyers, you can offload the paperwork, legal aspects, and administrative tasks to them, allowing you to focus on other important matters.

Our experienced UK immigration attorneys provide specialist legal advice and representation on all aspects of UK immigration law, to individuals and businesses. Our services can be classified as:

  • Initial Immigration Consultations
  • Immigration Application Preparation and Submission (Full Representation)
  • Immigration Application Checking Service
  • Sponsor License Applications and Corporate Immigration Services

Regardless of the service you require, you can be assured that you will have direct access to a specialist UK immigration lawyer who has an in-depth understanding of UK immigration law and procedure. Our flexible services are delivered professionally and are tailored to your individual situation. Please schedule a consultation to learn more about our cost-effective UK immigration solutions and the services provided by our immigration lawyers.