British Passport Application
Applying for a British passport is the culmination of your UK citizenship journey. You can use your British passport to establish your British nationality.
Awards and Accreditations
What is the application procedure for a British passport?
Once you have acquired British citizenship, you can submit your application for a British passport. After registration or naturalisation, this document will enable you to demonstrate your nationality as a UK citizen.
A passport is a travel document that grants you unrestricted entry and exit from the country. It can also be used as identification to access benefits and services and serves as proof of authorization to work, enrol in school, and maintain a permanent residence in the UK.
You can submit your application or apply for a British passport for your children with the assistance of our team of immigration lawyers.
How to Apply for a British Passport?
If you are applying for a British Passport from outside the United Kingdom, the procedure you must follow will be determined by the rules of the country from which you are applying.
What documents am I required to submit when applying for a UK passport?
When submitting your application, make sure to include only original documents. Photocopies are not accepted, but you can obtain an official copy of any evidence that you are unable to collect.
The following documents are mandatory when applying for your first British passport:
- Your long form birth or adoption certificate,
- If you were born in the UK after January 1983, you must provide proof of your parents’ immigration status,
- If you were born overseas, your certificate of British naturalisation or British registration,
- Someone who can verify your identity.
You must also supply a certified translation if your documents are not in English or Welsh.
Best Practice for British Passport Applications
To avoid any delays in your application, it is critical that you complete each section of your form correctly. When completing the British passport application, keep the following in mind:
- The name on your British passport application should correspond to the name on your supporting evidence,
- If your name has changed, you must use your new name on your application and provide proof of your legal change of name if applicable,
- You must record all your previous names on your application and provide supporting evidence where necessary, and
- You must provide information from any prior UK passports you have held.
- You must be 16 or older (or will be in three weeks from the date of your request) to apply for an adult passport.
Please note that British adult passports are valid for ten years while British child passports are valid for five years. Even if you are over the age of 18, you can use a British child passport until it expires.
Do I need a countersignatory?
Yes, if you are making a first-time British passport application from Canada, you will need a referee to confirm your identity. The role of the referee is to verify your identity and confirm that the information you have provided in your application is accurate.
The process for countersignatures from Canada and the United States is the same as in the UK. Your referee must be a British or Irish passport holder who has known you for at least 2 years, is not related to you, and is not in a relationship with you. They must also be a professional person or a person of good standing in the community, such as a doctor, lawyer, teacher, or accountant.
Your referee will need to complete and sign the relevant section of your application form, and also provide their passport details and contact information. It is important to choose a referee who can be easily contacted and who will be available to provide their signature and passport details within a reasonable timeframe.
If you are unable to find a suitable referee, our professional immigration lawyers will be able to suggest alternative options or provide further guidance on the process.
Overall, the requirement for a referee when making a first-time British passport application from Canada or the United States is an important security measure that helps to protect against identity fraud. It is important to follow the guidelines carefully and choose a suitable referee who can provide the necessary information and signature within the required timeframe.
How much does a UK Passport Application Cost?
As of May 2023, the fees for UK passports are as follows:
- Standard adult UK passport (aged 16 and over – 34 pages) – £82.50 if applying online, £93 if applying by post.
- Standard child UK passport (under 16 – 34 pages) – £53.50 if applying online, £64 if applying by post.
- Large adult UK passport (50 pages) – £93.50 if applying online, £104 if applying by post.
- Large child UK passport (50 pages) – £64.50 if applying online, £75 if applying by post.
- Emergency travel document – £100.
There are additional fees for having supporting evidence returned by courier.
It’s important to note that UK passport fees are subject to change, so it’s always best to check the official UK government website for the most up-to-date information before applying for a passport.
Challenging a British Passport Application Refusal
There are several reasons why a British passport application may be refused, such as:
- Incomplete or incorrect application: If the application is incomplete or contains incorrect information, it may be refused. It is important to ensure that all sections of the application are filled out correctly and all required documents are submitted.
- Insufficient supporting documents: If the supporting documents provided do not meet the requirements, the application may be refused. It is important to carefully review the application guidelines and provide all necessary documents in the specified format.
- Failure to meet eligibility requirements: If the applicant does not meet the eligibility requirements for a British passport, the application may be refused. For example, if the applicant does not have British nationality.
- Previous criminal convictions: If the applicant has previous criminal convictions, the application may be refused or delayed.
- Non-payment of fees: If the application fees are not paid, the application may be refused.
If your British passport application has been refused, you may have the option to appeal the decision. Alternatively, you may need to submit a fresh application, taking into account the reasons for the refusal and ensuring that any issues have been addressed.
It’s important to note that the appeal process can be lengthy and there is no guarantee of success. It’s always best to carefully review the application guidelines and ensure that all requirements are met before submitting an application to minimize the risk of refusal.
Please contact us if your British passport application has been refused.
What Should I do if I Lose my British Passport?
If you lose your British passport or it is stolen while you are overseas, there are several steps you should take as soon as possible:
- Report the loss or theft to the local police: This is important for two reasons. Firstly, you will need to obtain a police report or crime reference number, which you will need when you apply for a replacement passport. Secondly, reporting the loss or theft may help to prevent identity theft or other types of fraud.
- Contact the nearest British embassy or consulate: They will be able to provide you with guidance on what to do next and help you apply for a replacement passport. You can find a list of British embassies and consulates overseas on the UK government website.
- Apply for a replacement passport: You will need to apply for a replacement passport as soon as possible, as you will not be able to travel without one. The process for applying for a replacement passport varies depending on your location, so it is best to contact your nearest embassy or consulate for advice.
- Consider cancelling your credit cards and other important documents: If your passport was stolen, there is a risk that other important documents or credit cards may have been taken too. Consider cancelling your credit cards and reporting any other lost or stolen documents to the relevant authorities.
- Be cautious of identity theft: If your passport was stolen, there is a risk that your personal information may be used for identity theft. Be cautious of any suspicious activity and consider monitoring your credit report to ensure that no fraudulent accounts have been opened in your name.
Overall, if you lose your British passport or it is stolen while you are overseas, it is important to act quickly and follow the steps outlined above. This will help to ensure that you can obtain a replacement passport and minimize the risk of identity theft or other types of fraud.
How Long Does a British Passport Application Take?
When applying for your first British Passport from overseas, you should allow at least six weeks for your passport application to be processed. If you are applying for a British passport renewal from Canada or the United States, the processing time is approximately 2 weeks if applying online and 4 weeks if applying by post.
Sterling Immigration’s British Passport Application Services
Sterling Immigration’s lawyers realise how important it is for you to obtain your first British passport in a timely and cost-effective manner.
Our immigration lawyers can help you at every step of the application procedure. Our services include:
- Checking your supporting documents and advising you if any further evidence is required,
- Meticulously completing each section of your British passport application form,
- Writing a detailed Submissions Letter to support your application, and
- Liaising with the Home Office during the application process until passport issuance.
Please schedule a consultation and we will confirm your eligibility to apply for a first British passport from Canada or the United States and we will advise you regarding the supporting documentation and associated fees.
UK Legal Advice
UK Immigration Frequently Asked Questions
Our team of UK immigration lawyers will handle your case promptly and diligently until you achieve the desired outcome. Your dedicated UK immigration attorney will provide you with an estimated processing period for your case and keep you informed through each stage of the UK visa process. To expedite the processing of your application, we will ensure that your forms are meticulously completed and that you provide sufficient supporting documentation.
However, please note that the UKVI processing time depends on several factors including the volume of cases the UKVI is receiving and whether there are any priority programs where UKVI gives precedence to applicants from war torn countries or countries affected by natural disasters.
We can offer a fast-track service if your application is time sensitive. Please schedule a consultation to learn more about this package and all the services provided by our immigration lawyers.
Hiring one of our qualified UK immigration attorneys can offer several benefits when applying for a visa. Here are some of the advantages:
- Expertise and Knowledge: Our UK immigration attorneys specialize in all aspects of UK immigration law and are well-versed in the complexities of the UK visa application process. They stay updated with the latest changes in immigration laws and regulations, ensuring that your application is accurate and compliant.
- Personalized Advice: Our immigration attorneys can assess your specific circumstances, understand your immigration goals, and provide tailored advice based on your situation. They can determine the most suitable visa category for you, explain the requirements, and help you gather the necessary supporting documents.
- Application Preparation: Immigration lawyers can assist you in completing and organizing your visa application. They have experience in preparing the necessary paperwork, filling out forms correctly, and ensuring that all required documentation is included. This can help reduce the chances of errors or omissions that could lead to delays or a rejected application.
- Increased Approval Chances: With their expertise, our qualified UK immigration lawyers can identify any potential weaknesses or issues in your application and address them proactively. They can highlight your qualifications, skills, and experiences effectively to demonstrate your eligibility for the visa. This can increase your chances of a successful application.
- Legal Representation: If your visa application is complex or encounters challenges, having one of our skilled immigration lawyers on your side can be invaluable. They can communicate with the UK Home Office or immigration authorities on your behalf, prepare detailed and persuasive legal submissions and provide guidance throughout the process.
Time and Stress Management: Navigating the UK visa application process can be time-consuming and overwhelming, especially if you are unfamiliar with the requirements. By hiring one of our immigration lawyers, you can offload the paperwork, legal aspects, and administrative tasks to them, allowing you to focus on other important matters.
Our experienced UK immigration attorneys provide specialist legal advice and representation on all aspects of UK immigration law, to individuals and businesses. Our services can be classified as:
- Initial Immigration Consultations
- Immigration Application Preparation and Submission (Full Representation)
- Immigration Application Checking Service
- Sponsor License Applications and Corporate Immigration Services
Regardless of the service you require, you can be assured that you will have direct access to a specialist UK immigration lawyer who has an in-depth understanding of UK immigration law and procedure. Our flexible services are delivered professionally and are tailored to your individual situation. Please schedule a consultation to learn more about our cost-effective UK immigration solutions and the services provided by our immigration lawyers.