UK Fiancé Visa

UK Fiancé Visa

A UK Fiancé Visa will enable you to enter the UK to get married and then switch your status to a UK Spouse Visa without having to leave the country. This distinguishes a UK Fiancé Visa from a UK Marriage Visitor Visa.

Awards and Accreditations

UK Fiancé Visa Overview

The UK fiancé visa is specifically designed for partners of British or Irish citizens (or those settled in the UK) who wish to enter the country to marry or enter into a civil partnership within six months of arrival. Obtaining this visa is an important step towards creating your life together in the UK, but the process can often be intricate, filled with extensive documentation and strict compliance requirements.

At Sterling Immigration, our experienced legal team has an in-depth understanding of UK immigration laws and the fiancé visa application process. Our experienced immigration lawyers work closely with clients, providing personalized service to ensure all the paperwork is accurately prepared and submitted. Our wealth of experience allows us to anticipate potential issues and deal with them proactively, thereby increasing the chances of a successful application. 

What are the main eligibility requirements for a Fiancé visa?

In order to qualify for a Fiancé(e) visa, you will need to satisfy UK Visas and Immigration that:

  • Your partner is a British Citizen or holds Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK;
  • You are both over the age of 18;
  • You have met in person;
  • You are both free to get married;
  • Your relationship is genuine and you intend to live together permanently in the UK;
  • You intend to marry within six months of your arrival in the UK;
  • Any previous relationships have broken down permanently;
  • You will be adequately maintained in the UK without recourse to public funds;
  • There is adequate accommodation for you and any dependents;
  • You speak and understand English to the required level.
The Sponsor must demonstrate that they have a gross annual income of at least £18,600. You will also need to demonstrate that there is adequate accommodation available to you for the duration of your stay in the UK. 

How Can Sterling Immigration Help With Your UK Fiancé Visa?

At Sterling Immigration, we regularly assist Canadian and U.S.-based clients with UK fiancé visa applications. We understand that you want to reunite with your loved one quickly, with minimal disruption, and are here to help you navigate the detailed and often confusing immigration processes.

Sterling Immigration can assist you with your UK fiancé visa applications in the following ways:

  • Eligibility Assessment: We will carry out a comprehensive assessment to ensure that you and your fiancé(e) meet all the eligibility requirements of the visa, including financial requirements, English language proficiency, relationship status, and intention to marry within six months.
  • Documentation Support: We’ll guide you through gathering all necessary supporting documents. This includes proof of a genuine relationship, financial stability, adequate accommodation in the UK, and English language ability.
  • Application Completion and Review: Our lawyers will assist in completing your immigration application form correctly, ensuring all information is accurate and comprehensive. We will then review the application and the supporting documents for potential issues.
  • Submission Assistance: We will help submit the application and all supporting documents to the appropriate immigration authorities, following the required procedures to ensure a smooth process.
  • Liaison with Authorities: Our team will maintain regular contact with UK immigration authorities on your behalf, monitoring the progress of your application and handling any issues that may arise during processing.
  • Guidance on Next Steps: Once the visa is granted, we provide comprehensive advice on the next steps, including travel planning, what to expect on arrival in the UK, registering with a GP, opening a bank account, applying for a spouse visa after marriage, and eventually applying for British citizenship.
  • Appeal Assistance: If you encounter a visa refusal, we can provide expert advice and representation in appealing the decision.

By choosing Sterling Immigration, you’re choosing to put your visa application in the hands of trusted and experienced immigration lawyers who will take the time to understand your unique situation and guide you toward your goal.

Do You Have Questions About the UK Fiancé Visa Process?

Obtaining a UK fiancé visa can be complicated, but with skilled and dedicated guidance from an immigration lawyer, the process can be streamlined considerably. 

At Sterling Immigration, we understand the importance of this journey you’re about to embark on. We’re here to help you begin a new life in the UK with your loved one while reducing the stress and uncertainty that often comes with immigration procedures. We also stay abreast of any changes in the rules and regulations, ensuring you have the most accurate and timely legal advice. If you have any questions, please schedule a consultation today.

See also:

UK Spouse Visa

UK Unmarried Partner Visa

UK Civil Partner Visa

Contact Us

UK Legal Advice

Book your UK visa application appointment in USA.

UK Immigration Frequently Asked Questions

Our team of UK immigration lawyers will handle your case promptly and diligently until you achieve the desired outcome. Your dedicated UK immigration attorney will provide you with an estimated processing period for your case and keep you informed through each stage of the UK visa process. To expedite the processing of your application, we will ensure that your forms are meticulously completed and that you provide sufficient supporting documentation.

However, please note that the UKVI processing time depends on several factors including the volume of cases the UKVI is receiving and whether there are any priority programs where UKVI gives precedence to applicants from war torn countries or countries affected by natural disasters.

We can offer a fast-track service if your application is time sensitive. Please schedule a consultation to learn more about this package and all the services provided by our immigration lawyers.

Hiring one of our qualified UK immigration attorneys can offer several benefits when applying for a visa. Here are some of the advantages:

  1. Expertise and Knowledge: Our UK immigration attorneys specialize in all aspects of UK immigration law and are well-versed in the complexities of the UK visa application process. They stay updated with the latest changes in immigration laws and regulations, ensuring that your application is accurate and compliant.
  2. Personalized Advice: Our immigration attorneys can assess your specific circumstances, understand your immigration goals, and provide tailored advice based on your situation. They can determine the most suitable visa category for you, explain the requirements, and help you gather the necessary supporting documents.
  3. Application Preparation: Immigration lawyers can assist you in completing and organizing your visa application. They have experience in preparing the necessary paperwork, filling out forms correctly, and ensuring that all required documentation is included. This can help reduce the chances of errors or omissions that could lead to delays or a rejected application.
  4. Increased Approval Chances: With their expertise, our qualified UK immigration lawyers can identify any potential weaknesses or issues in your application and address them proactively. They can highlight your qualifications, skills, and experiences effectively to demonstrate your eligibility for the visa. This can increase your chances of a successful application.
  5. Legal Representation: If your visa application is complex or encounters challenges, having one of our skilled immigration lawyers on your side can be invaluable. They can communicate with the UK Home Office or immigration authorities on your behalf, prepare detailed and persuasive legal submissions and provide guidance throughout the process.

Time and Stress Management: Navigating the UK visa application process can be time-consuming and overwhelming, especially if you are unfamiliar with the requirements. By hiring one of our immigration lawyers, you can offload the paperwork, legal aspects, and administrative tasks to them, allowing you to focus on other important matters.

Our experienced UK immigration attorneys provide specialist legal advice and representation on all aspects of UK immigration law, to individuals and businesses. Our services can be classified as:

  • Initial Immigration Consultations
  • Immigration Application Preparation and Submission (Full Representation)
  • Immigration Application Checking Service
  • Sponsor License Applications and Corporate Immigration Services

Regardless of the service you require, you can be assured that you will have direct access to a specialist UK immigration lawyer who has an in-depth understanding of UK immigration law and procedure. Our flexible services are delivered professionally and are tailored to your individual situation. Please schedule a consultation to learn more about our cost-effective UK immigration solutions and the services provided by our immigration lawyers.

The time it takes to process a UK fiancé visa can vary depending on several factors, including the country from which you’re applying, how well your application has been prepared, and the current workload of the UK immigration authorities.

The average processing time is around 12 weeks. However, please note that this is an average, and individual processing times may be shorter or longer. Priority services are available for an additional fee, but it’s essential to keep in mind that this service doesn’t guarantee success; it merely expedites the processing of the application.

The UK fiancé visa and the UK marriage visitor visa are both designed for people who want to get married or enter into a civil partnership in the UK, but they serve different purposes and have different conditions. 

The UK fiancé visa is designed for people who intend to live in the UK with their partner after getting married. (The partner must be a British citizen or have settled status). It allows the applicant to stay in the UK for six months. After the marriage, the applicant can apply for a spouse visa from within the UK to remain long-term.

In addition:

  • This visa allows the applicant to bring dependent children (under 18) to the UK.
  • The applicant must meet certain financial requirements, prove a basic command of English, and have adequate accommodation arrangements.

The UK marriage visitor visa, on the other hand, is meant for those who want to get married or enter into a civil partnership in the UK but do not plan to live there long-term. It also allows the applicant to stay in the UK for up to six months, but they must leave at the end of this period. 

In addition:

  • This visa does not allow the applicant to bring dependent children to the UK.
  • The applicant must prove they have sufficient funds to support themselves during their stay in the UK without working, but there is no specific financial requirement, no English language requirement, and no need for the partner to be a British national or have settled status.

No, UK fiancé visa holders are not permitted to work in the UK. The primary purpose of this visa category is for the applicant to come to the UK to marry or enter into a civil partnership with their partner within a six-month period.

After the marriage or civil partnership takes place, the visa holder can apply to switch to a spouse visa from within the UK, which does grant the right to work. The UK spouse visa lasts for two and a half years and can be extended as long as the relationship continues and the other eligibility requirements continue to be met. After three years, you can apply for British citizenship.

The UK fiancé visa has specific eligibility requirements to ensure the integrity and sincerity of the application. Below is an overview of the general eligibility criteria:

Age and Marital Status Requirements

  • Both you and your fiancé(e) must be at least 18 years old.

  • You must both be able to marry, which means any previous marriages or civil partnerships must have ended. You may have to produce a divorce certificate or similar evidence.

Genuine Relationship Requirement

  • You must prove that you’re in a genuine relationship with your British partner. This evidence can include correspondence, photographs, joint bank statements, and testimonials from friends and family.

  • You must intend to marry or form a civil partnership within six months of arrival in the UK, and you plan to take up permanent residence in the UK.

English Language Requirement

Unless exempt (due to nationality or certain disabilities), the applicant must prove a basic English language proficiency, usually demonstrated through passing an approved English language knowledge test.

Financial Requirements and Maintenance Funds

  • You must demonstrate that you can financially support yourselves (and any dependents) without recourse to public funds.

  • The UK-based partner must earn a minimum annual income of £18,600 or have sufficient savings to prevent you from needing public funds. This income requirement threshold increases if there are also non-British or non-EEA dependent children. Acceptable sources of income include employment, self-employment, income from investments, income from property rental, and certain benefits like personal independence payments, disability living allowance, armed forces independence payments, and 

Accommodation Arrangements

You must have suitable accommodation available for you, your partner, and any dependents in the UK. The accommodation should not be overcrowded and must meet the public health regulations.

It is important to remember that these are only general guidelines, and each application is judged according to its own merits. British immigration rules are also subject to change, so you should consult with an immigration lawyer to ensure that you have the most accurate and up-to-date information.