Irish Citizenship by Descent
You may be eligible for Irish citizenship by birth if you were born in Ireland or one of your parents was Irish at the time of your birth. If one of your grandparents was Irish, you may also be eligible for Irish citizenship by descent.
Awards and Accreditations
Irish Citizenship by Descent
Irish Citizenship law allows the descendants of Irish people who have moved abroad to claim Irish citizenship. If each generation registers their birth before the next generation is born, then Irish citizenship can be passed from parent to child.
Claiming Irish Citizenship by Descent
If you were born in Ireland and you qualify to be an Irish citizen by birth, your child is automatically an Irish citizen by birth, even if the child was born in another country. You do not have to submit an application for Irish Citizenship by Descent. You can simply apply for an Irish passport for your child.
If you were born outside Ireland, you can become an Irish citizen if:
- One of your grandparents was born in Ireland, OR
- One of your parents was an Irish citizen at the time of your birth but was not born in Ireland.
To apply for Irish citizenship by descent, a number of supporting documents will be required. These documents may include:
- Your original long form birth certificate
- Your parents’ and/or grandparents’ birth certificates
- Your parents’ and/or grandparents’ marriage certificates
- Your parents’ and/or grandparents’ death certificates (if applicable)
- Marriage certificate or change of name document (if applicable)
- Proof of your parent’s or grandparent’s Irish citizenship
- Your passport and/or other state-issued identification documents
- Evidence of your current citizenship status
- Two proofs of your address
- If you are applying on behalf of a child, you must also include a letter from the child’s school or doctor
It is important to note that these documents must be original or certified copies, and they must be in English or accompanied by a certified translation.
Irish Citizenship by Descent Application Process
Applications must be submitted online. When the form is complete, you must submit it electronically and print a paper copy to sign and send it to the Irish Citizenship Department in Dublin.
Irish Citizenship Processing Fees
The Irish government processing fee must be paid online once the application form is complete. The fees are:
The fee includes a postage and handling charge.
Have your form, photographs and documents witnessed
You must sign the printed copy of your application form in front of a witness who is personally known to you. The witness must be a member of one of the professions designed by the Irish Citizenship Department.
This witness should also sign and verify your passport photos and stamp the form with their official stamp. You should send a business card if the witness does not have an official stamp.
Finally, the witness must certify that the copy of your state identification is a true copy.
Application processing times
Processing of applications was suspended for a period because of COVID-19. This means there is now a backlog of applications.
Applications are now being processed. You should expect delays. The current processing time is 2 years.
What can I do if my application is refused?
If your application is refused and you supplied all the correct documentation, you can appeal the decision. You will get a letter telling you that your application has been refused, and you should write a letter of appeal within 6 weeks of the date of the refusal.
Irish Passport Applications
If a person secures Irish Citizenship by descent, they can apply for an Irish Passport. You can apply online or submit a paper-based application.
The processing fee is €75 for a standard 34-page Irish passport valid for 10 years or €130 for a large 66-page Irish passport valid for 10 years and a five-year passport card valid for EU Travel.
Benefits of Securing Irish Citizenship by Descent
Irish citizenship offers a range of benefits, including:
- Right to live and work in Ireland: As an Irish citizen, you have the right to live and work in Ireland without any restrictions.
- Access to education: Irish citizens have access to free primary and secondary education, as well as subsidized third-level education.
- Access to healthcare: Irish citizens have access to the public healthcare system in Ireland, which provides free or subsidized healthcare to those who need it.
- Ability to travel visa-free: Irish citizens can travel visa-free to many countries around the world, including the United States and countries in the European Union.
- Right to vote: As an Irish citizen, you have the right to vote in Irish elections and referendums.
- Access to social welfare benefits: Irish citizens are entitled to a range of social welfare benefits, including unemployment benefits, disability benefits, and old-age pensions.
- Consular support: Irish citizens who are traveling or living abroad can receive consular support from Irish embassies and consulates.
- Right to participate in the political process: Irish citizens can run for political office in Ireland and can participate in the democratic process by joining political parties or engaging in political activism.
Overall, Irish citizenship offers a range of benefits that can enhance your quality of life, provide greater freedom of movement and access to services, and allow you to participate more fully in Irish society and politics.
Obtaining Irish citizenship by descent can be a complex process, but it is an important step for those who wish to connect with their Irish ancestry and heritage. If you believe that you may be eligible for Irish citizenship by descent, it is important to consult with an experienced immigration attorney or advisor who can help guide you through the process and ensure that your application is complete and accurate.
In addition to the requirements, eligibility, timescales, fees, and supporting documents discussed above, there are a few other important considerations for those applying for Irish citizenship by descent. These include:
- Dual citizenship: Ireland permits dual citizenship, so those who obtain Irish citizenship by descent can generally maintain their citizenship in their home country as well.
- Automatic citizenship for children: If you obtain Irish citizenship by descent, your children will generally be eligible for Irish citizenship automatically, regardless of where they are born.
- Registration in the Foreign Births Register: If you are eligible for Irish citizenship by descent, you may wish to consider registering in the Foreign Births Register. This can help to establish your connection to Ireland and make future applications for Irish citizenship or passports easier.
In conclusion, Irish citizenship by descent is a valuable option for those who wish to connect with their Irish heritage and obtain the benefits of Irish citizenship. While the application process can be complex, with the right preparation and guidance, it is possible to navigate the process successfully and obtain Irish citizenship. If you are interested in pursuing Irish citizenship by descent, it is important to research the requirements and eligibility criteria carefully, gather the necessary supporting documents, and consult with an experienced immigration attorney or advisor to guide you through the process.
Irish Citizenship Services
Our team of Irish citizenship experts have a wealth of experience with representing applicants from the United States and Canada with applications for Irish Citizenship by Descent. We will guide you expertly through the Irish citizenship process and ensure that your documentation is in the format required by the authorities.
For further information, please schedule a consultation.
UK Legal Advice
UK Immigration Frequently Asked Questions
Our team of UK immigration lawyers will handle your case promptly and diligently until you achieve the desired outcome. Your dedicated UK immigration attorney will provide you with an estimated processing period for your case and keep you informed through each stage of the UK visa process. To expedite the processing of your application, we will ensure that your forms are meticulously completed and that you provide sufficient supporting documentation.
However, please note that the UKVI processing time depends on several factors including the volume of cases the UKVI is receiving and whether there are any priority programs where UKVI gives precedence to applicants from war torn countries or countries affected by natural disasters.
We can offer a fast-track service if your application is time sensitive. Please schedule a consultation to learn more about this package and all the services provided by our immigration lawyers.
Hiring one of our qualified UK immigration attorneys can offer several benefits when applying for a visa. Here are some of the advantages:
- Expertise and Knowledge: Our UK immigration attorneys specialize in all aspects of UK immigration law and are well-versed in the complexities of the UK visa application process. They stay updated with the latest changes in immigration laws and regulations, ensuring that your application is accurate and compliant.
- Personalized Advice: Our immigration attorneys can assess your specific circumstances, understand your immigration goals, and provide tailored advice based on your situation. They can determine the most suitable visa category for you, explain the requirements, and help you gather the necessary supporting documents.
- Application Preparation: Immigration lawyers can assist you in completing and organizing your visa application. They have experience in preparing the necessary paperwork, filling out forms correctly, and ensuring that all required documentation is included. This can help reduce the chances of errors or omissions that could lead to delays or a rejected application.
- Increased Approval Chances: With their expertise, our qualified UK immigration lawyers can identify any potential weaknesses or issues in your application and address them proactively. They can highlight your qualifications, skills, and experiences effectively to demonstrate your eligibility for the visa. This can increase your chances of a successful application.
- Legal Representation: If your visa application is complex or encounters challenges, having one of our skilled immigration lawyers on your side can be invaluable. They can communicate with the UK Home Office or immigration authorities on your behalf, prepare detailed and persuasive legal submissions and provide guidance throughout the process.
Time and Stress Management: Navigating the UK visa application process can be time-consuming and overwhelming, especially if you are unfamiliar with the requirements. By hiring one of our immigration lawyers, you can offload the paperwork, legal aspects, and administrative tasks to them, allowing you to focus on other important matters.
Our experienced UK immigration attorneys provide specialist legal advice and representation on all aspects of UK immigration law, to individuals and businesses. Our services can be classified as:
- Initial Immigration Consultations
- Immigration Application Preparation and Submission (Full Representation)
- Immigration Application Checking Service
- Sponsor License Applications and Corporate Immigration Services
Regardless of the service you require, you can be assured that you will have direct access to a specialist UK immigration lawyer who has an in-depth understanding of UK immigration law and procedure. Our flexible services are delivered professionally and are tailored to your individual situation. Please schedule a consultation to learn more about our cost-effective UK immigration solutions and the services provided by our immigration lawyers.