High Potential Individual Visa
The UK High Potential Individual Visa is available to recent graduates of top global universities who would like to work, or look for work, in the UK.
Awards and Accreditations
UK High Potential Individual Visa
The High Potential Individual Visa is open to recent graduates of top global universities who wish to work or seek employment in the United Kingdom.
The High Potential Individual route does not directly lead to settlement in the United Kingdom. However, before your leave expires, you may be able to apply from within the UK to change to another immigration route that leads to permanent residence. A partner and dependent children may accompany or join the principal applicant.
High Potential Individual Visa Requirements
To be eligible for a High Potential Individual Visa, you must demonstrate to UK Visas and Immigration:
- You are at least 18 years old,
- You have received an international degree level academic qualification from an institution on the Global Universities List within the last 5 years,
- You are proficient in English to at least CEFR Level B1 (equal to IELTS 4.0),
- You have enough money to support yourself without relying on government assistance,
- You have not previously been granted authorization under the Student Doctorate Extension Scheme as a Graduate or as a High Potential Individual; You have produced a valid tuberculosis certificate, if required.
The specific conditions you must meet will depend on your circumstances. You should seek expert guidance from an immigration lawyer.
Overseas Degree Requirements
To be eligible for a High Potential Individual Visa, you must have received an international degree level academic certification.
Your degree level qualification must have been obtained within the five years immediately preceding the date of your High Potential Individual Visa application.
The institution that awarded your degree must be included on the Global Universities List as of the day you received your degree. The Global Universities List is a yearly list of universities released by the Home Office that includes all institutions ranked in the top 50 of at least two of the following ranking systems:
- Times Higher Education World University Rankings,
- Quacquarelli Symonds World University Rankings,
The Academic Ranking of World Universities.
Your qualification must be at the same level as:
- a UK bachelor’s degree
- a UK postgraduate degree
- a UK PhD or doctorate
You will need to provide confirmation from Ecctis that your qualification meets or exceeds the recognised standard of a UK bachelor’s or UK postgraduate degree. Ecctis will also confirm the date when you were awarded your degree.
High Potential Individual Visa English Language Requirement
You will need to prove your knowledge of the English language when you apply, unless you did this in a previous successful visa application.
You must prove you can read, write, speak and understand English to at least level B1 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages in all four components (reading, writing, speaking, and listening) to at least level B1 (intermediate) to qualify for a High Potential Individual Visa.
You can prove your knowledge of English by:
- passing a Secure English Language Test (SELT) from an approved provider,
- having a GCSE, A level, Scottish National Qualification level 4 or 5, Scottish Higher or Advanced Higher in English, gained through study at a UK school that you began when you were under 18,
- having a degree-level academic qualification that was taught in English – if you studied abroad, you’ll need to apply through Ecctis for confirmation that your qualification is equivalent to a UK bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or PhD.
You do not need to prove your knowledge of English if you are a national of a majority English-speaking country.
High Potential Individual Visa Financial Requirement
You must have at least £1,270 in your bank account to demonstrate that you can maintain yourself in the UK.
You will need to have held the money for at least 28 consecutive days ending not more than 31 days before the date of your High Potential Individual Visa application.
You will usually need to provide proof of funds when you submit your application for a High Potential Individual Visa unless you have been living in the UK with a valid visa for at least 12 months. Your partner and children will also need to prove they can support themselves while they are in the UK.
Switching into the High Potential Individual Visa Route
If you currently have leave to remain in another immigration category, you may extend your stay by switching to the High Potential Individual Visa route unless you are currently in the UK on any of the following visas or conditions:
- Visit Visa,
- Short-Term Student Visa,
- Graduate Visa,
- Parent of a Child Student visa,
- Seasonal Worker Visa,
- Domestic Worker in a Private Household Visa,
- On Immigration Bail,
- If you were granted permission to remain in the United Kingdom outside the immigration rules, for example on compassionate grounds.
You must leave the UK and apply for a High Potential Individual Visa from overseas if you are in one of these categories.
Duration of a High Potential Individual Visa
If your application for a High Potential Visa is approved, the length of your stay will be determined by the qualification you used to meet the overseas degree requirement:
- Three years for a Ph.D. or other doctorate level degree
- Two years for all other degree qualifications
Conditions of Stay as a High Potential Individual
If your application for a High Potential Individual Visa is approved, you will be able to work, including self-employment and volunteer work, study certain qualifications and bring your partner and children to the UK as your accompanying dependents.
However, you cannot:
- Apply for most benefits (public funds), or the State Pension,
- Work as a professional sportsperson or athlete,
- Extend your High Potential Individual visa, or
- Apply to settle permanently in the UK.
Extension of Stay on the High Potential Individual Visa Category
You cannot apply to extend a High Potential Individual Visa. However, before your visa expires you may be able to apply from within the UK to change your immigration status through the Skilled Worker Visa category or another route, if you meet the eligibility criteria.
Agreement on the High Potential Individual Visa Pathway
The High Potential Individual Visa does not directly lead to residence in the United Kingdom. However, before your leave ends, you may be able to apply from within the UK to change to another immigration route that leads to permanent residence, such as the Skilled Worker route or the Start-up route when paired with the Innovator route. You must meet the conditions of the immigration route through which you intend to prolong your stay. Our website contains information on all of the major immigration routes, including whether they lead to permanent residence.
You may also be able to extend your stay till you qualify for Long Residence settlement.
Dependents of Individual Visa Applicants with High Potential
How Much a High Potential Individual Visa Costs
When you apply for a High Potential Individual (HPI) visa, you will need to have enough money to:
- Pay £252 for Ecctis to confirm your qualification is valid,
- Pay the £715 UKVI application fee,
- Pay the immigration healthcare surcharge – this is usually £624 for each year you’ll be in the UK.
- support yourself when you arrive in the UK – you’ll usually need to have at least £1,270 available (unless you’re exempt)
In addition, you will need to ensure that you meet the financial requirement of having £1,270 of cash funds to your name to maintain yourself while you’re in the UK. You will need to have held these funds for at least 28 days in a row, with the end-date of the 28-day period being within 31 days of the date of your High Potential Individual Visa application. Your partner and children will also need to prove they can support themselves while they are in the UK.
Accompanying Dependents of High Potential Individual Visa Applicants
High Potential Individual Visa holders can be joined or accompanied by their dependent spouse, civil partner or common-law partner and dependent children under the age of 18.
How Our Immigration Lawyers Can Assist
Our immigration lawyers regularly assist graduates from renowned global universities to apply for a High Potential Individual Visa. We will expertly guide you through the complexities of the UK immigration process to ensure that your visa application is approved first time.
To learn more please schedule a consultation.
UK Legal Advice
UK Immigration Frequently Asked Questions
Our team of UK immigration lawyers will handle your case promptly and diligently until you achieve the desired outcome. Your dedicated UK immigration attorney will provide you with an estimated processing period for your case and keep you informed through each stage of the UK visa process. To expedite the processing of your application, we will ensure that your forms are meticulously completed and that you provide sufficient supporting documentation.
However, please note that the UKVI processing time depends on several factors including the volume of cases the UKVI is receiving and whether there are any priority programs where UKVI gives precedence to applicants from war torn countries or countries affected by natural disasters.
We can offer a fast-track service if your application is time sensitive. Please schedule a consultation to learn more about this package and all the services provided by our immigration lawyers.
Hiring one of our qualified UK immigration attorneys can offer several benefits when applying for a visa. Here are some of the advantages:
- Expertise and Knowledge: Our UK immigration attorneys specialize in all aspects of UK immigration law and are well-versed in the complexities of the UK visa application process. They stay updated with the latest changes in immigration laws and regulations, ensuring that your application is accurate and compliant.
- Personalized Advice: Our immigration attorneys can assess your specific circumstances, understand your immigration goals, and provide tailored advice based on your situation. They can determine the most suitable visa category for you, explain the requirements, and help you gather the necessary supporting documents.
- Application Preparation: Immigration lawyers can assist you in completing and organizing your visa application. They have experience in preparing the necessary paperwork, filling out forms correctly, and ensuring that all required documentation is included. This can help reduce the chances of errors or omissions that could lead to delays or a rejected application.
- Increased Approval Chances: With their expertise, our qualified UK immigration lawyers can identify any potential weaknesses or issues in your application and address them proactively. They can highlight your qualifications, skills, and experiences effectively to demonstrate your eligibility for the visa. This can increase your chances of a successful application.
- Legal Representation: If your visa application is complex or encounters challenges, having one of our skilled immigration lawyers on your side can be invaluable. They can communicate with the UK Home Office or immigration authorities on your behalf, prepare detailed and persuasive legal submissions and provide guidance throughout the process.
Time and Stress Management: Navigating the UK visa application process can be time-consuming and overwhelming, especially if you are unfamiliar with the requirements. By hiring one of our immigration lawyers, you can offload the paperwork, legal aspects, and administrative tasks to them, allowing you to focus on other important matters.
Our experienced UK immigration attorneys provide specialist legal advice and representation on all aspects of UK immigration law, to individuals and businesses. Our services can be classified as:
- Initial Immigration Consultations
- Immigration Application Preparation and Submission (Full Representation)
- Immigration Application Checking Service
- Sponsor License Applications and Corporate Immigration Services
Regardless of the service you require, you can be assured that you will have direct access to a specialist UK immigration lawyer who has an in-depth understanding of UK immigration law and procedure. Our flexible services are delivered professionally and are tailored to your individual situation. Please schedule a consultation to learn more about our cost-effective UK immigration solutions and the services provided by our immigration lawyers.